Series: Our Gang
Director: Robert F. McGowan
Producer: Hal Roach
Titles: H.M. Walker
Photography: Art Lloyd
Editor: Richard C. Currier
Stars: Allen Hoskins, Mary Kornman, Joe Cobb, Elmer Lowry, Johnny Downs, Jackie Condon, Mickey Daniels, Jay R. Smith, Clifton Young, Mildred Kornman, Jannie Hoskins, Lassie Lou Ahern
Company: Pathé Exchange
Released: 04 July 1926
Length: 2 reels
Production No.: K-9
Filming dates: March 8-25, 1926
Available on DVD:
It's June, the month of weddings and another is about to take place, that of Mary's sister. Mary (Kornman) has the idea of copying her by wanting to get hitched up with Joe. Bonedust (Clifton Young) makes the announcment via his 'wurlitzer' and the ceremony is under way, conducted by Jackie (Condon) acting as the minister. Joe gives his bride a ring which is actually an old hook screw. The rest of the gang turn up late, having stopped off to watch a dog fight. The groom is told he can kiss his bride but he refuses to do so for fear of the others seeing him.
Unfortunately the other kids do see him and throw a show at Joe's face. The imprint of the heel is revealed on Joe's face as a noticeable black mark. An enraged Joe confronts the boys, who claim it was thrown by the smallest member, Farina. Farina gets his dog, Magnolia, and runs and is pursued by Joe. Meanwhile back at the ceremony, the rest of the boys and the bride marvel in the wedding presents which have been donated.
Farina stumbles upon Professor Clements and his flea circus by the side of the street and stops by to take a look at Garfield the flea, riding on a bicycle. The animated flea jumps down onto Farina's dog's nose. Farina backs away as the dog scratches madly at the flea he has inherited. A new family are moving into town, with their worldly belongings on the back of a very unsteady cart. New boy Skooter (Lowry) is pulling a baby in a cart along the street when he meets up with Farina.
• Copyrighted May 26, 1926.
• Film #51 in the series.
• Also listed for July 28, 1926.
• The scene with Garfield the flea was animated by E.H. Young.
• This was the first of three shorts that Oliver Hardy appeared in with the Our Gang team. The other two were Baby Brother and Barnum & Ringling, Inc.
• When Mary kisses Joe during the ceremony, there is a lovely little smile on his face afterwards.
• When Joe chases Farina, they run past a store advertising ice cold Coca Cola.
• When the flea jumps down onto the dog's nose, the dog is shown as a still photo with the animated flea on top.
• There are two signs on the back of the cart which is transferring the belongings to the new home: "It is better to give than to receive" and "Ours is a happy home".
|Jay R. Smith
|Lassie Lou Ahern
Flower girl at wedding
|George B. French
Justice of the Peace
Sheldon, the groom
Wedding guest with moustache
Guest with flea on her nose
Watcher of the flea circus
Watcher of the flea circus
Father of Mary, Johnny, and the bride
Pedestrian without fleas
Flea circus spectator
Mother of Mary, Johnny, and the bride
The Little Rascals: The Life And Times Of Our Gang by Leonard Maltin & Richard W. Bann (book)
http://theluckycorner.com/rps/051.html (Robert Demoss/The Lucky Corner)
Jesse Brisson (identification of Vera White and Chris Lynton)
Tommie Hicks (identification of Robert Finlayson)
This page was last updated on: 04 July 2023