Series: Charley Chase
Director: James Parrott
Producer: Hal Roach
Dialogue: H.M. Walker
Photography: Hap Depew
Editor: Richard C. Currier
Sound: Elmer Raguse
Stars: Charley Chase, Muriel Evans, Nora Cecil, Fanny Cossar, Ida Schumacher
Released: 08 October 1932
Length: 2 reels
Production No.: C-10
Filming dates: June 23-29, 1932
Available on DVD:|
|Charley has to take on the role of a teacher at an all-girls school after his mother, a teacher, phones in sick. Charley's introduction to the principal (Nora Cecil) is a frosty one, but he soon settles into the job, conducting the students in a cheery version of 'Seeing Nellie Home'. Charley is introduced to Miss (Muriel) Evans and takes an immediate shine to her. The other students play a prank on Charley by throwing catnip all over his bedsheets.|
• Copyrighted September 26, 1932.
• This was a partial re-working of a previous Chase comedy, What Women Did For Me (1927).
• Muriel Evans was badly scratched by the cats during the filming of the final scene, so much so that Charley Chase ordered a halt in the filming so that she could receive medical treatment for her wounds.
• The song which the women sing is "Seeing Nellie Home". Charley Chase made a film of the same name several years before.
• The opening shot of the film showing the girl's school looks very much like the Hal Roach office building.
• As Charley falls backwards off the first floor balcony, he hands on the diving board before ending up in the pool. You can see the edit as he apparently lands on the board because he is then faced the wrong way around. In the next scene, he appears to pull Nora Cecil into the pool with him, with her flipping into a somersault as she flies through the air. Given Ms. Cecil's age and agility, and the fact we do not see a conclusive close-up shot of her face (the picture fades out abruptly at the end of the scene), it is unlikely that Nora Cecil performed the stunt.
• Ida Schumacher plays the role of Mrs B.B. Chase. Charley Chase's wife in real life was Bebe Chase.
Principal Miss Tuttle
Mrs. B.B. Chase
Miss Perkins, assistant principal
|CREDITS (click image to enlarge)|
(click any image to enlarge)
Smile When The Raindrops Fall by Brian Anthony & Andy Edmonds (book)
Jesse Brisson (identification of Betty Danko, Dorothy Layton, Lois January)
Craig Calman (identification of Fanny Cossar)
This page was last updated on: 30 January 2023