Series: Charley Chase
Director: Leo McCarey
Producer: Hal Roach
Titles: H.M. Walker
Writer: Charley Chase
Photography: Len Powers
Stars: Charley Chase, Martha Sleeper, Helen Gilmore, Richard Daniels, Leo Willis, Jack Ackroyd, Jack O'Brien
Company: Pathé Exchange
Released: 26 April 1925
Length: 1 reel
Production No.: D-66
Filming dates: May 16-24, 1924; retakes May 26-27, 1924
Big Red Ridinghood
BEST DVD VERSION
Jimmy Jump (Chase) is a bookworm who has been offered 10,000 kronas by the Swedish government in order to translate "Little Red Ridinghood" into their langauge. He finds the book at a small book store on the corner of a street and begins reading it but runs away when the sales girl (Martha Sleeper) slaps his hand after Jimmy inadvertently grabs a hold of it. It is clear, however that the girl has some affection for him. Jimmy returns to the store and, after finding a policeman's badge on the floor and handing it to the grateful officer (Leo Willis), he continues to read the book. He envisions the events of the story in a daydream with the hefty Helen Gilmore running through a field dressed as the title character being pursued by a dog and with Jimmy as an incompetent woodsman, chopping down trees in the forest (or at least trying to!)
He is abruptly awoken from his daydreaming when a roadsweeper accidentally prods him with a pitchfork, sending Jimmy into the arms of Helen Gilmore outside the store. He somehow ends up in the awning above the store where he continues to read through his binoculars. Until a daring book thief (Charlie Hall) runs off with a book. The cop fires at him and gives chase. Meanwhile a guy (Jack O'Brien) pulls up at the store, purchases the Ridinghood book and throws it into his car. Two car thieves show up and when their attempts to steal the book-buyers car they flee. The driver gives chase, with Jimmy riding a bicycle besides the car and continuing to read the book. The thieves shoot the driver of the chasing car but Jimmy doesn't realise. The car then 'drives' off onto a country lane and eventually onto a pier and into the sea, with Jimmy following.
Charley Chase's encounter with Helen Gilmore in the woods. He gets her attention by striking an axe across her backside!
• Copyrighted April 2, 1925.
• Prints of the film available on DVD are tinted red.
• The correct spelling of the title is "RIDINGHOOD" (as one word). This is also evident in some intertitle cards throughout the film where we see exerpts from the book. It is also seen later when Charley reads the telegram.
• When we first see the exerpt from the book, it begins with "Once upon a time..." yet the page number is 11. How many books do you know begin on page 11?
• The shots of the book store were filmed on the Hal Roach backlot.
• The intertitle cards refer to Charley Chase's character as "Jimmie" Jump, whereas other films call him "Jimmy". The telegram he receives during this film calls him "James Jump".
• The advertising sign hanging outside the store reads Morgans Revelations $5.99.
• When the book thief runs away the cop tries to shoot him. For stealing a BOOK? And the people of America don't understand why they have "a gun problem"?
• The scenes with Charley so engrossed in his book that he is oblivious to his surroundings is the 1925 equivalent of idiots on their mobile phones nearly one hundred years later.
What the experts say
• "Aesthetically, it is a well-framed movie, its succession of shots keeping its pace for visual comedy. It breezes by so quickly one has to be impressed by the amount of solid laughs it contains. [This film] is one of Chase's shortest movies, but is also one of his best from this period in his career." ~ James L. Neibaur.
• "Well it's definitely tight and fast flowing, which owes much to the flawless editing of the picture." ~ Lord Heath.
Maid, book store clerk
Red Riding Hood in fantasy
Car thief with glasses
|SHOT ON THE LOT
The following scenes were filmed on the Hal Roach Back Lot and are included in the TOUR
(click any image to enlarge)
|SHOT ON LOCATION
(click any image to enlarge)
https://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-writer/single-post/2019/09/08/Selected-Short-Subject-Big-Red-Riding-Hood-1925 (James L. Neibaur)
Jim Dallape (Back Lot Tour shots)
This page was last updated on: 31 May 2019